Vacancy for Science Director of the European Spallation Source (ESS)
Titulua: Vacancy for Science Director of the European Spallation Source (ESS)
Argitaratze-data: apirila 2022
Eskaera-epeak: - Amaiera: 22/04/30
ESS invites applications for the position of ESS Science Director reporting directly to the Director General and is part of the Executive management team, that also acts as the Steering Committee of the ESS project. The ESS Project is the complex of activities that will deliver the ESS facility ready for steady state operations. Together with the Director General and members of the ESS Executive Board, own the ESS Project performance goals, scope, cost, schedule, and deliverables.
About the team The Science Directorate consists of several teams with various experience and expertise, working together to ensure that ESS is ready for the launch of an ambitious science programme as the project transfers into operations.
About the role As the successful candidate and future ESS Science Director, you are an experienced manager and leader, providing direction and inspiring the implementation of solutions as well as best practices that address the project’s priorities. You can:
- Lead and manage the Science Directorate.
- Assure the readiness of the organisation for successful user operation. To achieve this, you elaborate in close collaboration with the Technical Director a plan for the transition into operations of the scientific instruments. This includes the scientific dialog with the partner institutions in order to guarantee the success of the scientific commissioning and the transition into the user programme.
- Maintain a continuous high-quality dialog with the scientific community in order to assure that the community takes ownership of the project and thus contributes to its success.
- Develop strong links to both academic and industrial research environments to identify new opportunities for an impactful science programme.
- Build up an outstanding team of scientists that will assure the excellence of the future ESS science programme at world-leading level.
- Organize and develop an efficient high-quality service to the user community.
- Develop a vision for future upgrades. In this context, you prospect new avenues for performance enhancement of instruments and services embracing the latest opportunities offered by the technological developments.
- Promote the ESS project and its scientific programme to assure strong stakeholder engagement.
- Support in defining the Organisation’s scientific vision.
You should have an advanced university degree in physics, chemistry or another relevant discipline, and the following work experience
- You are internationally recognized for outstanding research that you have done in the field of neutron science.
- You lead a successful research group with an attractive scientific programme.
- You are recognized as a strong promotor of your scientific field.
- You have a track record in developing innovative scientific instrumentation and bringing it successfully into operation.
- You have demonstrated strong leadership and management skills in a complex, highly competitive research environment.
- You have successfully set agendas and influenced strategies and policies at your institution and within the wider research arena.
- You can build on a strong network of collaborations and have demonstrated the ability of attracting third-party funding.
- You are actively engaged in student training and take pride in developing talent.
- You have a proven track record in delivering performance enhancement through change.
- You have demonstrated the ability to organise and execute on assignments and action plans.
- You possess excellent presentation skills, and perfectly master English oral and written form.
As a leader you are balanced, driven and have the ability to coach your team through complex issues and make recommendations that are consistent with strategies, policies, and procedures. You are highly motivated, forward thinking, and have strong communication and interpersonal skills.
What ESS will offer At ESS you can expect:
- A unique opportunity to influence the future of science and technology.
- A work environment filled with innovative minds and people from all over the world.
- A challenging, exciting and high-paced work environment.
- Market competitive compensation that is individual and differentiated according to role, responsibilities, individual skills, abilities, and achievements.
- Benefits including 30 days of annual leave, flexible working arrangements and focus on work life balance.
- And where applicable relocation support and allowances may also be available.
Duration & Location The position is a five-year appointment. The employment type is permanent with six months initial probation period.
Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden.
Start date The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process, please follow this link.
Please note that we only accept applications via the ESS website. Please provide your curriculum vitae in English by clicking on “apply” and follow the instructions.
Anna Hansson Kalaris, Head of Division Human Resources, Anna.HanssonKalaris@ess.eu
Hautatu zein errore-mota adierazi nahi duzun
Esteketako batek inolako orritara ez daramala detektatu baduzu...
URL errore bat aurkitu baduzu esteka batean...
Edukian errore bat detektatu baduzu...
Edukia ez dela erakusten detektatu baduzu...
Informazioa erabilgarria izan ez bazaizu...