Law 17/2022, of 5 September, modifying Law 14/2011, of 1 June, on Science, Technology and Innovation, includes measures for the enhancement of knowledge through the promotion of knowledge transfer activities by public agents through knowledge transfer offices.
Royal Decree 984/2022, of 22 November, establishes the Knowledge Transfer Offices (KTOs) and Knowledge Transfer Office Register (KTO Register), attached to the Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities, and governs the procedure for their recognition, registration and cancellation.
KTOs are intermediary entities operating in the Spanish science, technology and innovation system, responsible for boosting relations between agents in the system through the following functions:
- Protecting R&D&I results through industrial and intellectual property rights and other forms of protection.
- Exploiting research results, inventions and new technologies through any types of contracts that involve the transfer of their use or ownership to third parties.
- Facilitating collaborative research between public and private entities and the procurement of R&D&I and technological services.
- Promoting the creation of knowledge-based entities.
- Driving the social dissemination of knowledge.
The Royal Decree will enter into force on 1 July 2023, from which date all interested entities that meet the requirements set out in the regulation may submit an application for registration through the electronic office of the Ministry of Science, Innovation and Universities.